If you have a luxury fashion taste, but the budget to go with it, there a number of tricks to learn that offer the illusion of wealth.
You don’t have to be a millionaire to look like one.
Here, we list pearls of wisdom that will give every outfit a polished air.
- You can buy non-descript little black dresses, cream-coloured knits and dark-wash jeans from anywhere. Having a handful of classic pieces in your closet allows for an array of looks that seem far more expensive.
- Looking scruffy never equal ‘wealthy’ at first glance, so keep things polished with clean lines, polished accessories, and neat hair and make-up.
- If nothing else, invest in your shoes and bags. If you can’t afford to, carry a minimalist leather tote and wear simple ballet flats or loafers.
- Avoid putting brands on display. Branded everything might be a trend now, but a purse covered in logos can never be refined.
- Drape your cardigan or coat over your shoulders like every one of our favorite Eighties stars. It might not be practical, but forget about that for now.
- If you’re going to wear something, make sure it’s still in good condition. Nicks and scratches on shoes, bags or anything else are a no-no.
- Embrace sunglasses: wear tortoiseshell eyewear a la Jackie Kennedy.
- Cinching an oversize coat or classic button-down cardigan with a belt adds instant chic to any outfit.
- Keep eccentric nails to a minimum – just say no to neon polish and anything acrylic. But a neat manicure is a must.
- Opt for darker denim. The darker the wash, the more sleek your denim looks.
- Ladylike dresses that make you look like you just stepped out of a Kennedy family portrait give off an old-money, new-clothes feel.
- Your scent can be just as expensive as your look.
- Don’t be afraid to put your jewels front and center. From simple diamond studs to that borderline-gaudy statement necklace, this kind of jewelry ups the ante.
- Own a navy blazer. Own a turtleneck. Wear them together.
- Embrace conservative status symbols like Belgian Shoes and Gucci loafers. Think of timelessness over trends.
- If you don’t know, now you know. Two words: Camel. Coat.
- Make sure it fits. Clothing is instantly downgraded when it doesn’t correctly. Stay away from items that swallow you whole, cut off circulation or create imprints in your skin.
- It’s okay to be square. Gentlemen, always wear a pocket square. It’s a simple way to completely change the look of an ensemble.
- Wear your pearls, girls. When in doubt, a classic stand of pearls adds elegance (and dollar signs) to your style. Style with jeans for a modern appeal.
- Monochrome is the perfect way to give off that ‘everything I’m wearing is chic and cost a fortune’ vibe.
- Timing is everything. A nice watch is the ultimate power-play accessory.
- Tread carefully when it comes to animal print. There’s a fine line between a leopard – print heel and a zebra – print jumpsuit.